Battenberg Lace

"Lace" is one of the most evocative words in our language. It suggests an elegant sensibility, a delicacy offering a diverse variety of styles and patterns. The word “lace” comes from the Latin meaning a noose or snare. Most likely its earliest origins from early fisherman who used the looping of threads into nets. As a needlewoman, it is no surprise that I am a collector of women’s textiles. Fiber into fabric and fabric fashioned into the everyday pieces that surround us from clothing to household goods to embellishment has always fascinated me.


Although I adore lace in all of its forms, it is the Battenberg lace technique that has always called me. I have antique Battenberg lace pieces around my house and in my closet. Battenberg or “tape lace” can be traced to the 16th century, Battenberg lace was first created when Queen Victoria of England named her son-in-law as the first Duke of Battenberg in the late 1800s. Every English Duke had his own lace pattern. Thus, a new style of tape lace called Battenberg was invented and became quite popular. During the 1930s and 1940s, making Battenberg lace was a fashionable American hobby made easier by readily available machine-woven tapes.


The most readily available Battenberg lace items can be found at every department, fabric and craft store. Who among us has not seen the Made in China pieces that abound?


I’m afraid I’m a bit of snob when it comes to Battenberg and do not own any of the modern pieces. If you have ever come across or are fortunate enough to own antique Battenberg lace you understand my snobbery. There is nothing quite like it.

Detail of antique Battenberg lace.  No comparison to today's modern pieces.


Lovely antique Battenberg lace parlour tablecloth. Circa 1890s.


Antique Batteberg lace bedspread.  Circa 1900s
 
Highly detailed work combined with netting and linen.  Circa 1910
 
Stunning wedding gown of Battenberg Lace.  Would be worn over a silk tafetta undergown.  Circa 1900s
 
Detail of gown train.  The hours spent creating this masterpiece are mind boggeling.
 
Lovely Edwardian color made from silk tape with pretty pink accents. 
 
Pretty overlay jacket.  I have a similiar piece in black that I wear.  Circa 1910.
 
An exquisite floor length jacket from the 1910-20s era combining silk guaze, battenberg lace technqiues and silk embroidered flowers in the art nouveau fashion.  I would love to own this lovely garment but it is too costly for my humble pocketbook.  But how smashing would the wearer be in this? 
 
I hope, in your travels, that as you come across true antique/vintage pieces of battenberg lace that you have the opportunity to really look closely at the workmanship of these pieces. They are nothing short of extraordinary.  Have a joyous day.  Sea Witch


My Ping in TotalPing.com

  © Sexy Nude Celebrity